Why get a home inspection?
There are a number of reasons why RE/MAX recommends a home inspection including:
- To ensure you are not surprised by major defects
- So you can be advised about the various elements of the home including – heating and cooling systems, structure, electrical and plumbing
- To learn about how the mechanical systems work and need to be maintained
- Most homeowners are not expert in the numerous components of house construction
- A third party can be objective as there is no emotional attachment
Who should you hire?
Home inspectors are often referred by family or friends. Your RE/MAX agent can also provide you with a list of inspectors. Look for one that is trained and certified by a national organization such as Canadian Association of Home Inspectors (CAHI) or National Institute of Building Inspectors (NIBI) and who has errors and omissions insurance. Do not hire someone who will do any suggested work due to the conflict of interest.
When should you call?
Order the inspection after your offer has been accepted. The contact will stipulate the length of time you have to complete the inspection.
What is involved?
The home inspection will determine the structural and mechanical soundness of the home. Your home inspector can identify existing and potential problem areas, suggest possible solutions and provide estimates for the cost of the work required. You will receive a report outlining the inspection findings. You should accompany the home inspector during the inspection or arrange to meet them at the home so they can walk you through the report. If as a result of the inspection, you have further concerns, have a specialist in that area conduct a more extensive examination.
What does it cost?
Costs vary depending on a number of factors including: size and location of the home, features, age, and services required. Additional services may include radon, septic and well testing. Your RE/MAX agent can assist you in obtaining a quote from a potential inspector before you enlist his/her services.